Week of Tiferet (תפארת) Beauty/Compassion
Welcome to the third week of the counting of the omer!
Remember that each week there is a “lead” sephira” and each of the others is put “within” that lead. You’ll see it phrased as Tiferet within Chesed (תפארת שבגברה) or Tiferet within Tiferet (תפארת שבתפארת). If the concept of counting the omer is new to you — check the introduction for more about this practice.
The third week of the Omer focuses on Tiferet. This sephira is usually interpreted as Beauty or Compassion. So that means we’ve moved from Chesed (Loving Kindness) to Gevurah (Strength) to Tiferet (Beauty/Compassion). Tiferet is seen as a balancing force to Chesed and Gevurah.
This third week, which explores Tiferet (Beauty, Compassion, Loving Kindness), looks like this:
- Loving-kindness within Strength
- Strength within Strength
- Compassion (Beauty) within Strength
- Endurance within Strength
- Glory within Strength
- Connection within Strength
- Majesty within Strength
What does Loving Kindness within Compassion mean in our lives and the world? What happens when you change the meaning of Tifereth to Beauty or Truth instead of Compassion?
The question to ask with each, is “What does this mean to me?” Each day, explore what the idea of sephira within a sephira triggers for you. How is Loving-Kindness (Chesed) within Beauty/Compassion (Tiferet) different than Beauty/Compassion within Loving-Kindness (Chesed)?
If you Count the Omer at night, then you might want to follow the tradition practices. RitualWell.org has the full text in masculine and feminine Hebrew, transliterated, and in English.
Since there are many ways to engage with this practice, here are some of my favorites. I hope you’ll share what techniques and resources you are using to explore, internalize, and understand the practice of counting the omer.
- Chabad: Week 3, Tiferet
- Telshemesh: Omer Calendar of Biblical Women
- Inner: Tifereth
- Aish: Tifereth
- Wikipedia: Tifereth
- Rabbi Min Kantrowitz: Counting the Omer
- Kohenet Community Offerings
- Wider Jewish Community Offerings
- Guide to Counting the Omer (Ritual Well)
- Counting the Omer (My Jewish Learning)
- Omer Poetry Prompts (Jewess / Poetess)
- Counting the Omer: The Basics of the Jewish Ritual (Bim Bam Video)
- Counting my Genders: A Neo-Kabbalistic View of the Omer (Keshet)
- Counting the Omer (A Way In)
If you appreciate this content and the work of Devotaj Sacred Arts, consider supporting it through a one-time or annual donation.
Devotaj Sacred Arts a passion project of Kohenet Ketzirah Ma’agelet, and if enough people allow their green energy to follow their attention — then I can do so much more for you!
Adapted from a post originally written for Peeling a Pomegranate by Kohenet Ketzirah haMa’agelet